Back to School Organizing
Back to school organizing tips for a smooth start
Organized students have a sense of control over school life, they are less stressed, and they have more time for extracurricular activities. Here’s a list of back to school organizing tips that will get you and your kids off to a great school year.
- Set up a homework area and stock it with school supplies. This provides a place where your child can concentrate and stay focused.
- Set up a school paper system. This is a system for organizing paperwork that will be kept at home, not in the backpack. Use a desktop file box or an accordion file to hold handouts and graded school work. Create a file for each class, for sports, and for other activities.
- Organize the backpack. Set up a system for traveling paperwork using a binder and folders. Assign areas in the backpack for school supplies and personal items. Have your child set aside time each week to clean out their backpack so that it stays clutter free.
- Use a planner. Keeping track of assignments, tests, due dates, and extracurricular activities helps your child stay on top of things. Have your child schedule a time each week to plan and schedule activities. Time management is an important lifelong skill.
- Organize the locker. Use a locker shelf and to keep the locker organized and easy to manage. Before each long holiday, have your child bring home the locker contents in a bag, then have them sort and purge items before they go back to school.
- Create a Family Command Center. This is a landing pad for school paper that kids bring home. Place a basket or tray in a convenient spot to collect anything your child brings home for you to see, sign, or file. Set up a desktop file box near the paper tray and use it to file paperwork for reference. (Learn about my Paper Piles workshop).
- Create a Backpack Zone. When the kids get home from school, chaos happens fast! Designate a space to place backpacks, shoes, and jackets. This makes it easy to find these items in the morning.
For information on our student organizing services, visit our student organizing page.
Uniquely Enhanced Spaces helps you manage the clutter and get organized so that you can get more done, find things when you need them, and feel good about your space. Diana Carlos is a professional organizer serving Lakewood, Long Beach, and surrounding areas in Los Angeles County and Orange County.
Call for a free phone consultation